...

...

July 21, 2014

MORE WORTHLESS NETWORKING?

BUSINESS CARD TOSSING AND THE AGE OLD QUESTION, "WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?"

I want to another networking event last week on the prodding of friends, they said, "Well your events are awesome Mark, but maybe you need to go to some others to see what they do."

While I already know what most other networking events are like, I had not heard of this big one and decided to attend. As I always do, I meet everyone I can, I find out if there is a way I might help them do better and I of course mention my event. And I decided to play a little game. I tallied how many times someone asked me the following questions, and I observed very carefully how people behaved while, of course, half listening to their introductions when they met someone next to me.

My name tag was supposed to have my name and profession, mine had my name and "ASK ME", and after an hour I turned my name-tag upside down on purpose. Here are the results of 67 people I met there were about 200 people present.

Hi, What's your name?  2  (Despite having my name on my tag)
Hi, What do you do for a living?  47  (Big Surprise!)
Hi, Why does your tag say 'Ask Me?'  10
Hi, Why is your name tag upside down?  2  (One of those did not say Hi, they just pulled the name tag off and put it right side up without asking.)
Hi, How are you?  2
Hi, Man what a tough place to find a date!  3  (Number of guys hitting on Women, 14, number of girls hitting on guys, 2)
Hi, What are you drinking?  1

People who eventually asked for my card  38

MY CONCLUSION: People like the word "Hi", people like going to Networking Events. People are terrible at Networking and worse at follow up! As of today I have heard from 2 of the people I met. I have reached out to all of them and offered to connect further.

WANT TO FIX ALL THIS? Come to The Art of Active Networking. July 28th San Francisco, August 11th New York City! Tickets and info on our site:
http://www.TheArtofActiveNetworking.com

I'm off to Los Angeles Wednesday to find a new venue I hope! Ideas welcome!

Want us in your city? Call me: 415-602-9500

WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU DO BETTER, NOT TO COLLECT YOUR CARD!

Tickets are always available for each event on our website until 6pm day of the event, or are available for 10 dollars more at the door until 7:30 pm. Please take a look at our Website, read the reviews, join our groups and social media pages on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter; and share this with others at TheArtofActiveNetworking.com

Questions? 415-602-9500

No comments: