...

...

March 2, 2014

LET'S BE A GOOD BIT NICER TO EACH OTHER...DAMN!

THIS LINKEDIN LETTER HAS NOW GONE VIRAL!
Someone who attends The Art of Active Networking and is a big supporter of what I do asked me to weigh in on this last week. This news story went viral when apparently a young job seeker reached out to someone with a job board on LinkedIn and got this not so pleasant response:

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2014/02/26/linkedin-response-goes-viral/5832797/

Since I have now been asked my opinion of this now many times since this has occurred, here is my public reply:

"I first think treating anyone like this is uncalled for, but before weighing in fully, I would love to see the actual request that the "job seeker" sent. (I never enjoy one-sided stories!) That said, even at my age, with my huge network and with all the amazing people I meet in my travels, talks, through my events and in my various companies and career, someone I had reached out to simply hoping to make a connection with too treated me equally bad last week. She tried to rip me a new ass hole saying "you know no one", "you've never done anything worthwhile in your life", and that I am a "blind connector", with "nothing to offer anyone!" #harsh I was honestly speechless, as I initially reached out to her to inquire about her ability to help me develop a treatment and screenplay for an upcoming film I plan to produce and direct. I asked for nothing and simply invited her to connect before sending a specific inquiry.

We can never account for the day someone might be having, for the gains or losses in their life or for what might be going on with them emotionally, professionally or personally at any given time. I prefer to NOT judge this it as it simply spreads more negativity. I will say this: I get "hit up" daily by hundreds of people wanting something of me, and while I do my best, and very much appreciate my network and all the kind words and support I do get, I am often worn out from lazy people expecting me to send out their resumes, make connections for them and who never consider offering anything or helping another person. Some people are takers and do not understand that the getting is in the giving! So while I do think many 20 something’s have a unique sense of entitlement, so do others in perceived positions of power of every age and job title. Many more on the other hand get it; they work hard and have passion for what they are doing. And many more of them need to chill and realize what's really important.

As for me, my networks are open, my mind and heart are open and I will do my best, within my time and ability constraints to help others do better always. In that we all win!"

I appreciate you for attending my events, thinking about attending, for being in my networks and for what you do to support others.

And of course I do hope to see you at the next events for "The Art of Active Networking"

Next up:

March 3rd -San Francisco
March 24th -Vancouver BC and a special event to support Canadian Veterans
March 31st -San Francisco
April 8th -Washington DC
April 28th -San Francisco
New York City and Los Angeles coming back as soon as I find venue in those two awesome cities where I also happen to live!


THE POWER OF US ALL WORKING TOGETHER IS SO MUCH GREATER THAN ANYTHING WE CAN ACCOMPLISH ON OUR OWN!
Tickets are always available for each event on our website until 6pm day of the event, or are available for 10 dollars more at the door until 7:30 pm. Please take a look at our Website; read the reviews; join our groups and social media pages on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter; and share this with others at TheArtofActiveNetworking.com
If you wish to unsubscribe from our emails, please scroll to the bottom of this message and click "unsubscribe".
The power of us working together is greater than anything we can accomplish alone!
Be Well, Be Creative, Be Great!
-Mark E. SackettCreative Director / Executive Producer / Director / Public Speaker
Mobile 415-602-9500

No comments: