...

...

February 14, 2017

VALENTINE'S DAY! I "LOVE' IT!

Ahhh "Valentine's Day" An entire day dedicated to LOVE.

Well romantic love anyway...But what about just loving ourselves and spreading a little of that all over everyone else?

I have been more fortunate than most to have fallen in love 3 times in my life. In two of those three I was very let down because I mis-judged what love was as allowed those loves to let me be mis-led. I wasted 8 years of my life on those two relationships. You see I learned from the best when I met Gretchen Sackett, she understood unconditional love, a lesson even I have yet to learn. But she set a bar so high, that few could ever live up to it.

Gretchen for 38 years defined love, even years after we were no longer married she continued to love me in remarkable ways. And in so many ways still does even nearly 2 years after her death.

Valentine's Day these days for me is about smiling, about doing my best to wish love on others, I no longer pursue it myself because I came to the realization that most people look for love to find someone who "completes them", they look for love in hopes it might ease suffering, pain or lonely moments. They crave companionship and history with someone, they have shared moments and so much more. I get all that, but it took me a lot of years to realize I was already complete, I was content in who I am, how I live and in the many, many extraordinary moments I get to experience daily. No one needs to share my pain, no one is needed to complete me, I am happy, and content to be alone because I love myself first.

That sounds all new age and very California, but I do spend most of my life alone. And I am quite content with it, and I love my life.

So if today you are a little sad because you don't have that kind of love in your life right now, go be with the most awesome person you know today...YOU!

YOU KNOW WHAT THE OLD SONG SAYS..."If you can't be...with the one you love honey, love the one you're with!"

And that's you!

No comments: